Post Operative Precautions – during recovery after surgery
- Avoid rubbing or pressing the eye.
- Avoid strenuous activity.
- Only take medications prescribed by your doctor.
- Sunglasses or your own glasses may be worn.
- Use your eye drops FOUR times a day for a period of 4 weeks as advised by your doctor.
- Consult your doctor about returning to work or driving.
Report any pain, discomfort or loss of vision to Dr Singh’s rooms or to the Emergency Department after hours immediately.
Instructions for inserting eye drops
- You will be given a prescription for three different eye drops. These are; Chloromycetin, Pred Forte and Acular.
- Start the Acular 5 days prior to surgery and continue the drops after surgery until the bottle is finished.
- Start the Chloromycetin and Predforte with Dr Singh the day after surgery and continue until the bottles are finished.
- Wash hands before inserting your eye drops.
- Use only clean tissues to wipe your eyes or when inserting your drops.
- Shake each bottle well before placing drops in the eye.
- Wait 1-2 minutes with the eye closed between using the first and the second eye drop.
- Wait about 1-2 minutes with the eye closed between using the second and the third eye drop.
- Close your eye for about 1-2 minutes after the third drop is inserted.
- Use one drop from each bottle four times a day, (breakfast, lunch, afternoon, bedtime) as a guide.
- The drops should last for one month. However, if you run out of your eye drops, see your own GP for another prescription.